Friday, July 11, 2008

Names and labels

©2008 Joan M Newcomb

I've had a cough for a couple of weeks. It's been kind of interesting. I'm not used to being sick so I usually walk around going "hmmm, my head hurts" for a day, until someone says, "Sounds like a headache, did you take an aspirin?" And I'll go, "Aspirin?!? What a concept!"

So yesterday I made the mistake of looking up the symptoms on WebMd, and suddenly I have bronchitis. So now I'm feeling like I need to buy cough medicine (sugar and alcohol free) and I'm not feeling like going to the gym, although I've been working out regularly since this thing started. All because I labeled my symptoms.

The word "Bronchitis" has power, because we've given energy to it. If I claim that I have "Bronchitis" then I join with all the others in the morphic field that have ever had Bronchitis. I now experience the essence of what others have experienced.

In the midst of writing this, I decided to take a break and meditate. It suddenly occurred to me that my Grandmother *died* of bronchitis (when she was 96). My mother had chronic bronchitis until she quit smoking (in 1969). I decided to energetically separate from the collective bronchitis consciousness.

Since then, I've been steadily feeling better. The cough hasn't gone, but I'm not feeling "sick" any more. I've opened the space for something different to happen.

Once at a wedding reception, I chatted with a gay couple, one of them had been diagnosed with AIDS more than 15 years before. It used to be a death sentence, but now there are many people living with this disease for decades.

The power of names exists beyond illness. People can be limited by their race, their religion, their nationality, their sexual preference. It's more than prejudice, and it's deeper than labeling.

Look at how you limit yourself with whatever words make up your self-identity. They create patterns in your personal hologram, silently running in your reality that effect the choices you make and the direction you grow in. Imagine yourself with no labels (or if this is too challenging, remove one at a time). Notice the freedom that opens up for you.

It only takes a few brave souls to break through the collective energy to create a different outcome, which brings hope for everyone.

No comments: