Friday, April 3, 2009

Softening Into... resistance, competition, illness...

©2009 Joan M. Newcomb

Last week I ran into someone that I knew a while ago but never particularly liked. I found myself chatting with her and every time an uncomfortable feeling came up, I softened into it. I could remain neutral and yet friendly with her. Afterwards I was able to let her go (energetically).

This week I had a phone conversation with someone I didn't know and afterwards was surprised to find a knot in my stomach. From experience, I know this to be an energetic cord. Whatever the reason for it, I softened into the discomfort and a short time later was breathing easily again.

Recently I felt crummy, something passing through my system. I drank a lot of Airborne and Emergen-C and sucked on Ricola lozenges. I'm not used to being sick, so I went about my work week, but by Tuesday evening it occurred to me that maybe I didn't have to attend a meeting, I could stay home instead. I softened into the experience and soon felt much better.

Today I was in the middle of entering emails into my address list when the power suddenly went out. My whole morning was redirected, so I softened into it. I ended up in bed finishing a book I've been reading by flashlight. Amusingly, I got to a part where the author was talking about confronting a painful situation from their past, and they went numb. "Oh, I remember going numb" I thought. And the power went back on.

It was such a clear Gift and Message. The Gift was a bit of a day off after an intense week. The Message was about staying staying present and not resisting, letting all these experiences pass through.

Softening into is a form of non-resistance. Energy can come and go, in the form of people, in the form of illness, in the form of circumstances. Softening into is going with the flow, not swimming upstream against the current.

I'm softening into my inner resistances as well. The part of me that had a whole agenda for today, which pretty much got blown along with the power. The part of me that wants to be some place different than where I am. I'm here. I'm breathing. I'm listening to the parakeets in the next room. I feel very ... Eckhart Tolle.

The world hasn't stopped because I didn't get everything done on my list. Someone actually called for a reading, so my receptive flow hasn't ceased (maybe increased).

Notice where in your life you soften into. Any person, place thing that you're tense or uncomfortable with, try softening into it.

Watch how it changes the flow of your day, your week, your life!


No comments: