Thursday, May 22, 2008

Parallel Universes

©2008 Joan M. Newcomb

I've been reading parts of Jean Houston's 'The Possible Human : A Course in Enhancing Your Physical, Mental, and Creative Abilities' and in it she relates a very moving story that perfectly illustrates the reality of Parallel Universes.

She had a period of time when she had the premonition that she was going to die. Then, one evening as she rode to a dinner event with her father, she knew it was going to be that night. On their way there, they miraculously avoided a horrific accident, and for the rest of the evening she was haunted by phantom injuries. She realized that in some alternate reality she must have actually been one of the casualties and this is what her parallel self was experiencing.

Every time you make the decision to go in one direction, a part of you splits off into the other direction, thus creating a parallel universe. Imagine how many times you have done that in your life, and that is how many parallel universes there are for you. All those past experiences where you wonder 'what if I'd done it differently' -- there is an alternate past where you did!

When I give a Matrix Energetics session, I can take advantage of those parallel universes. If I'm working with a client who had a challenging childhood, I can reach into a parallel universe where that didn't happen, and bring the energy of it into this present moment. It doesn't negate their memories or learning from that experience, but it helps them no longer be limited by it. If someone had an alcoholic mother who neglected them, I can reach into the parallel universe where they had a loving and nurturing mother instead. It fills that inner space where that energy had been lacking. It helps them to move forward to make different choices and actions now.

It occurred to me that we have parallel *future* universes as well, for every conceived (or not yet conceived) direction we can go in. So I came up with a Matrix technique for choosing which universe we want to step into. There's a visualization technique that has you imagine three doors in front of you - one representing one decision, the second representing another decision and then door number three usually represents whatever you hadn't considered yet. You imagine going up to each door and stepping through it, thereby getting a preview of the results of each choice. There's another technique, I'm not certain what modality it's from, where you imagine whatever you desire in a circle in front of you and then step into it, thereby embodying the energies of your desire (which helps bring them into form).

My Matrix technique is this: stand and get a sense of what you'd like to experience or happen, and then move your hand out in front of you, as if you have a series of doors in front of you. Whichever one gives way the easiest, or feels the most positive, or seems the brightest, step into it. Stand and experience the new reality you've stepped into!

I used this a while ago when standing in line at the front desk of a hotel I was staying in. I needed to have a charge taken off my bill, and I was feeling tired and overwhelmed and knew I wasn't in the space to argue with a desk clerk. So I decided to step into the parallel universe where I had the outcome I desired. I stepped to the left, that wasn't it, and then stepped to the right. (I'm sure the person behind me must have thought I was nuts)! The moment I stepped to the right, a new desk clerk came out to the counter and asked for the next person in line - which was me. It turned out to be the front desk manager and they easily and effortlessly amended my invoice!

One of my students uses this every morning to set her direction for the day. She's more intentional about it, deciding on specific details of what she'd like to accomplish. So you can tailor this technique to work for you. If you don't know exactly what you want, just choose the direction that feels best or looks brightest.

Try this for a week and see what happens - and email me the results!

No comments: