Friday, June 3, 2011

In The Blink of An Eye

©2011 Joan M. Newcomb

This has been a particularly exciting year so far.  We've had earthquakes, tsunamis and tornados (oh, my).  There's been a domino toppling of dictatorships in the Middle East.  And Obama done shot Osama.  Just to name a few things.

Astrologically we had powerful eclipses at the end of December and beginning of January, and are in a month with *three* eclipses right now.  Eclipses bring sudden, powerful changes, dramatic endings and beginnings, and reveberate with the power of three full moons, each.  And Uranus moved into Aries in March, to stay for seven years.  Uranus is the planet of surprises, and Aries is a forceful, forward moving influence.  How can any of us not feel the effects?

I discovered this morning that, even though I live on an island near Seattle, theorectically, I could be at my mother's doorstep in Washington DC before either of my brothers - who live near Philadephia and New York City.  (That's if I didn't stop to take a shower).

That's because my mother, who's just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's but doesn't remember it, decided not to answer the phone today.  (She ignored 20+ minutes of continuous calling).  Caregivers were on the way over for their scheduled visit at that time (I was calling to remind her they were coming), so were able to call me to say she was okay, but not before I'd gotten my suitcase half packed and checked out all the direct flights to the DC area.

Things can change in the blink of an eye.

Now, I'm psychic, so I should have known my mother was just ignoring me.  And I kind of did, but it rang inner alarm bells anyway.  And that's because my mother's *not* okay.  I'm tuned into where she is in the progress of this illness.  Systems are breaking down.  It's not a crisis yet, but this was an early warning.  A tornado watch, if you will.

The Boy Scouts' motto is a good one.  It helps to Be Prepared.  Not in fear of something happening, but just in case something does.  Just as it's always a good idea to have a spare tire and a jack in your car, it's probably good to have extra water and canned goods in your pantry.  In my case, I probably should leave that suitcase packed.

Energetically, it helps to Be Prepared.  In navigating life, it's useful to be flexible.  Change happens all the time; it goes easier if you don't resist it.  You can stay grounded, respond rather than overreact, wait a few minutes or even over night before making a choice or a decision to take action.  It helps emotionally when you're prepared like that.

Years ago, when my friend died, I realized that this lifetime happens in the blink of an eye.  To Spirit, which is eternal, life on Earth is fleeting.  As Essence you want to enjoy every moment of it, as it is happening.  It's your chance in the pool; why leave before swim time is over?  Splash and paddle until the life guard blows his whistle.

(And be prepared with sunscreen on your nose and shoulders while you're in).

This week take a look around your life and notice where you *are* Prepared.  Notice where you aren't.  You don't need to dismantle the scaffolding of your life, but notice where you're clinging to old structures that are no longer working.  What would it be like if you could gently let these go?

For the next seven days, practice being flexible.  And notice what happens when you do!

No comments: