Friday, October 7, 2016

Ethics, Values, and Morals (and Consciousness)

Ethics, Values, and Morals (and Consciousness) ©2016 Joan M. Newcomb, CPC

"A person who knows the difference between right and wrong and chooses right is moral. A person whose morality is reflected in his willingness to do the right thing – even if it is hard or dangerous – is ethical. Ethics are moral values in action" from http://managementhelp.org/blogs/business-ethics/2012/01/02/what-are-values-morals-and-ethics/

An exercise I do with new clients is called 'Values Clarification'. It helps them determine their top 5-10 values and then they're able to use it as an assessment for how satisfied they are with their lives. It is also a tool for making choices and taking actions. If you have a high value on relationship but you spend your days debugging software alone in your office, you're not going to be very satisfied with your job (no matter how much Microsoft pays you).

Values are one thing, but ethics and morals brings the conversation to a new level.
GPS Photo by Darren Meacher

Consciousness is neutral. There's no good or bad from the perspective of Consciousness. This confuses people. If that's the case, then I can just start careening down my path treating people like shit and stealing from the government ("taxes, I don't need no stinkin' taxes"). Because I AM Consciousness and this is all an illusion so it doesn't really matter.

The mind that is thinking that way isn't Consciousness.

True, Consciousness is neutral. Consciousness is impassive. Consciousness doesn't get caught up in drama or detail. Consciousness is also Love. Consciousness loves *everything* and *everyone*.

[LOL, I got an 'Error' message right at this point of writing and quickly copied what I'd written before having to reload]

Although it is all an entertaining creation to Consciousness, it doesn't mean it's not real. I love my plants, my pets, including my fish tank. I created them to be in my life. I love my kids, I manufactured their bodies but they are taking their lives and running with them. And I feel unconditional love for them, regardless what they do.

...that's the parental perspective of Consciousness...

When I truly step into the perspective of myself Consciousness, the creator of my reality, it's a little different. I feel no need to try to change, fix or manipulate the hologram I've created to experience physical reality. I don't need to treat people like shit, if anything, I feel Compassion, because we are all Consciousness.

As Consciousness, I'm One, so for fun, I've created individuality, the sense of otherness. You could say this whole world is Consciousness playing with itself.

So the right and wrong thing. Although there is no right or wrong as Consciousness, there is light and dark in the physical realm. You navigate this using your inner Moral compass.

This Moral compass gets distorted much the same way as a little boy scout's compass can be affected by magnets. It's not pointing true north if you're feeling extreme emotionalism. If you're feeling that others are wrong when you are right. That's not your moral compass, that's your body/ personality/ intellect/ mind.

I know I'm navigating with my moral compass when I feel clarity. I may love this person but if they're sleeping with someone else, it's pretty clear we're not in an exclusive relationship. I'm pretty clear I want an exclusive relationship. It's a simple choice to step away from that relationship so I can create the space for what I want.

I may love my family of origin, but I feel insane around the old family behaviors. Clarity helps me with boundaries, how to navigate the holidays. I can go to the family dinner on Christmas eve but I can't do breakfast the next morning with them.

When you align your body/ personality/ intellect/ mind with yourself as Consciousness then your sense of right and wrong becomes clear. Your Moral compass is clearly about You and how You want to navigate life.

If you're staring at someone else's vehicle, you veer into their lane. When you as Consciousness are driving, your eyes are on the road - your path - ahead. You don't need to change how other people are driving.

It feels better to live life as Consciousness. It feels better to stand in the light. It feels better to have clarity.

Notice how you are navigating. Are you steering towards the shadows? Are you tailgating someone who you think is a terrible driver? Is your blinker on or tabs expired?

It's pretty simple to shift your perspective, it just takes doing it.

Try this for the next few days and see what happens!





No comments: