Friday, January 26, 2018

NSV God

NRSV God ©2018 Joan M. Newcomb

I was chatting with a Christian lay minister the other day and trying to explain my expanded awareness of Consciousness and she said, ‘Oh, you have a new version of God!’

I laughed because, years ago when I read such things, my favorite version of the Bible was the New Standard Version. According to her, I have a NRSV God.

Many people don’t realize how many versions of the Bible there are. So many interpretations and translations. And yet they claim every word in it is true. But will pull out a piece of scripture to justify a behavior that isn’t very “Christian”.

We view the world through our personal lenses, our ‘slides’ or transparencies of our beliefs about reality rather than what really is.

There is an Essence of truth in all religious writing, but many distortions as well. And we each have an essence of truth in awareness of God, but many distortions as well.

The old, Charlton Heston in the Sky, version of God that I grew up with, no longer works for me. I don't use the word God any more, it feels too limiting. That went away a couple of decades ago when I shifted to an awareness of Spirit, the invisible energy beyond, that I’d call Universe when I was talking to it. “Hey, U.!” I’d say.

This awareness was not personified, and characterized by a heightened clarity of vision. My surroundings would look brighter and crystal clear when attuned to Spirit.

I’ve had some profound spiritual awakenings, several times being enveloped in Love. Amazing experiences of falling into this energy and yet become more fully my Self.

I used to describe this as Essence, and explain it to people as the Essence of who You are.

Yet all of these still placed it as something outside of myself. And my evolution is pulling me towards  this source as being within me, and as the real ‘me’.

More recently, I’ve been calling this Consciousness which seems to many people as simply ‘awareness’ or being conscious (as in being deliberate).

When I shift my focus to Consciousness, it’s a more embodied feeling than when I used to talk to the Universe. The Universe was still above me. Consciousness integrated.

As Consciousness, I have no sense of specific directions, in or out, so I realize that it doesn’t make sense to define it as inside or above. But the difference for me is the identification. Language isn’t adequate for this experience.

You are Consciousness, and have a body-personality that you’re experiencing the world through. I am the same Consciousness, with a different body-personality. It’s all the same Consciousness, just a different vehicle.

We want to superimpose our body limitations on this, saying we are all One, and that you are a reflection of me.  You could say that One is all we, and we are all emanations (rather than reflections). Except Consciousness isn't One, it doesn't have numbers.

And even as Consciousness has no directions, it's still useful to be in touch within your physical form. Because as Consciousness you created this reality and you created the body that you're in to experience it with.

We get to be individuals as well as Consciousness. Which makes me realize that our purpose for being here is about creating, experiencing and feeling. How we each do that is up to us.

Most people view themselves as a personality, or even as a soul with a divinity that is outside or separate. When you shift your identification to that as Consciousness, it shifts your perception of everything as well.

Life becomes so much easier with a broader viewpoint. You're no longer caught up in the roller coaster ride of human drama. There's greater freedom, greater joy, greater love and appreciation.

I invite you to try it this week, shifting your awareness to being Consciousness in form, and see what transforms!

No comments: