Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Depth Perception

©2008 Joan M. Newcomb

When I was about seven or eight, I remember looking at my classmates and thinking that some were more three dimensional than others. What I meant was that some were deeper people, and some were more on the surface.

When I was in high school, I became friends with someone who was lesbian, and later, someone who was gay. And I remember thinking they were more three dimensional, because of what they'd had to go through to realize who they were.

When I was twenty two, I went through clairvoyant training, learning to look at people as Spirit manifesting through a physical body. It always surprised me at the start of readings, after I'd gone into trance and then opened my eyes to talk, the person across from me would be crying. And they wouldn't be particularly sad or troubled to begin with! I realized not many were used to being seen as Spirit, acknowledged for who they really were. My act of shifting perspective instantly connected with them and moved them to tears.

Depth perception is more than looking at people, it's also the ability to look at situations, to see the multiple layers of what's really going on. And it's the ability to pull back as well. To retract one's focus from staring at a tree trunk and see the entire forest.

A technique I teach in my classes is called 'Corner of the Room'. You start by sitting in a chair, with your feet flat on the floor, and your eyes closed. You breath and release tension, and acknowledge the feeling of being within your body. Then you open your eyes and pick a back corner of the room. You close your eyes again and imagine going there. Then notice what it's like, in the corner of the room. Notice the difference being outside of your body. And when you're ready, you come back, into your body, feel the difference there, and open your eyes.

You may have to do this several times for it to become comfortable and real.

What this accomplishes is some space from your physical body and emotions. It gives you the perspective of Spirit, outside form. It's a helpful break if you're having a too intense growth experience.

You can do this for your life as well, imagine looking down as if you're above a movie set, and you're one of the players in the scene. You can instantly have intuitive awareness about yourself, the other actors, and even the whole show.

I invite you to think about how you view your own life and people around you. Do you see things on the surface or do you acknowledge that more is going on underneath? Can you step out of your personal drama and see the entire movie set?

Try this over then next week and notice how it changes things!

No comments: