Friday, December 19, 2008

Mele Kalikimaka

©2008 Joan M. Newcomb

Yesterday we were blanketed in a good 6 inches of snow. Wimpy by Canadian standards, I know, but overwhelming to those in the Seattle area. As it was snowing, I walked our rural roads to town, which was quite a fun adventure.

Right now I'm listening to Izzy Kamakawiwo'ole singing Hawaiian songs, while wearing my North Face jacket and wrapped in a wool blanket. Our parakeets, Bodhi and Cheetah, are chirruping away in the other room (they have heat, this area doesn't).

Everyone in this area has had to drop whatever their regular plans were this week and do something different. From rescheduling appointments to holiday shopping on line rather than in stores, the snow has changed everything for everyone.

It's obviously a 'divine intervention'. Something external, beyond one's control, has stepped in and redirected the flow of events.

This means something different to everyone. Maybe you were wanting some early vacation time? Maybe you were stressed out by the crowds and the Universe has given you the gift of hanging at home? Maybe it's a lesson in letting go of control, or releasing attachments to outcome.

My husband is stranded in Bellevue at his mother's, my son's car spun out yesterday on the way to school so he walked to his dad's, and so I'm alone (except for 2 birds, 2 rabbits and 2 dogs).

It could be a time for rest and reflection, it could be an opportunity to focus on myself for a change, or simply to practice acceptance of the things I cannot change.

One thing I am going to do is walk the 2 miles to town again. I had a great conversation with my Expanded Self (or my inner Obi-Wan, as I'm calling it at the moment)on the way and I'm looking forward to another one.

So I invite you all to look at the bigger picture of your life at the moment, whatever weather or circumstances you're experiencing. You might navigate your way through things more easily or effortlessly, or at least differently, if you do.

I wish you all a Mele Kalikimaka (Hawaiian for Merry Christmas)!

No comments: